The Arkansas Department of Education (ADE), Special Education State Improvement Grant’s (SIG) Goal Three addresses the recruitment and retention of qualified special education teachers. One objective of the goal is to provide financial assistance to individuals desiring to become a fully licensed special education teacher and teach in an Arkansas school district with a high proportion of less than fully qualified special education teachers.
The ADE is offering twenty-five (25) new tuition reimbursements, up to $3,500 each, to persons willing to pursue or are in the process of adding special education licensure endorsement to their teaching license. Reimbursement for college course credit successfully completed in special education will be available for persons enrolled in summer 2005 coursework and continuing coursework for completion of special education licensure endorsement. Applicants shall meet the following requirements:
1. Be a resident of Arkansas.
2. Be currently employed by or be willing to work in a school with a high proportion of less than fully licensed special education teachers.
3. Be enrolled in a regionally accredited public or private college or university with an approved special education program taking a minimum of three (3) course hours per term or semester.
4. Maintain a minimum 2.75 cumulative grade point average.
5. Agree to teach in a public school in Arkansas in a designated school needing fully licensed special education teachers for one year for each year of tuition reimbursement received.
Persons interested in applying for the tuition reimbursement program for the 2005 summer term(s) and through 2006 must complete the attached application in its entirety. Any incomplete applications will be disallowed. Mail the completed application to Susie Branon, 1401 W. Capitol, Suite 450, Little Rock, AR 72201 or fax it to Ms. Branon at 501-682-4248. Applications must be received by September 30, 2005. Applicants will be notified of status relative to acceptance in the tuition reimbursement program by October 15, 2005.
Applicants will submit a copy of the course of study, grade report and receipt of course(s) payment to the ADE within 30 days of receipt to receive reimbursement for the course(s) and to be eligible for the following semester’s tuition.