The Arkansas Department of Education (ADE) will offer five (5) orientation sessions for Arkansas public school teachers and school counselors interested in information regarding state funding for the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards certification process. The orientation sessions will be offered at the following sites on the dates listed:
• Saturday, February 10, 2007, Arkansas State University, Student Union Auditorium (Third Floor), 9:00 a.m.-noon
• Saturday, February 24, 2007, University of Arkansas Monticello, Fine Arts Center Auditorium, 9:00 a.m.-noon
• Saturday, March 10, 2007, Henderson State University, The Garrison Center, 9:00 a.m.-noon
• Saturday, April 14, 2007, Farmington Educational Coop, 9:00 a.m.-noon
• Saturday, April 21, 2007, Pulaski Tech College, The Campus Center, 9:00 a.m.-noon
There is no cost for attendance and refreshments will be provided.
A teacher qualifies for state fee support (the $2,500 application fee and three days of substitute teacher support to work on certification) only if the teacher:
• is licensed as an Arkansas teacher or school counselor,
• has taught in an Arkansas public school system at least three years prior to candidacy,
• currently teaches in an Arkansas public school classroom, and
• attends one of the orientation meetings.
NOTE: The required three years teaching experience in an Arkansas public school must be while holding an initial and/or standard teaching license in order to receive the state funding application. Years taught with a provisional license do NOT count toward the required three years of experience.
Candidates receiving state funding but do not certify, or teachers not complying with any legal requirements concerning teaching tenure following certification, must repay all funds received.
Interested individuals are required to register for one of the orientations via the Arkansas National Board for Professional Teaching Standards webpage at (http://arkansased.org/teachers/certification_program.html) beginning in January 2007.
For more information contact Michael Rowland at 501-682-1146 or Michael.Rowland@arkansas.gov.