As of May 1, 2007
The Office of Professional Licensure and the Office of Standards Assurance, currently approves teachers licensed in Physical Education 082 (7-12), 083 and (K-12), or P.E. / Wellness/ Leisure 227 (P-8) and 228 (7-12), to be employed as coaches without having the Coaching Endorsement listed on the teaching license.
This practice was based on the fact that prior to transitioning to the new licensure system in 2002, the Physical Education programs contained the coursework normally required for the coaching endorsement. However, after transitioning to the new license system, not all programs of study in PE/Wellness/Leisure contain the coursework required for the Coaching Endorsement.
TEACHERS INITIALLY LICENSED IN ARKANSAS:
· All teachers currently licensed in Physical Education 082 (7-12) or 083 (K-12) and P.E. /Wellness / Leisure 227 (P-8) or 228 (7-12) are “Grandfathered” to be employed as coaches without having the Coaching Endorsement listed on the teaching license. However, the Arkansas Department of Education (ADE) recommends that school districts review the transcripts of all coaches holding the P.E. / Wellness / Leisure 227 (P-8) and 228 (7-12) levels of licensure and encourage the coaches with minimal coursework to complete a program of study for adding the Coaching Endorsement.
· Code numbers 227 and 228 will no longer be issued as an initial licensure area or as an additional licensure area for Arkansas teachers.
· Teachers currently holding a 227 and/or 228 license and have completed a program of study and testing in coaching, may request, through the college/university, to have the coaching endorsement added to the individual's license.
· The new code numbers of 235 (P-8) and 236 (7-12) will be assigned to the licensure area of P.E. / Wellness / Leisure.
· Teachers holding the new code numbers for P.E. / Wellness / Leisure of 235 (P-8) and/or 236 (7-12), will not automatically be approved to be employed as a coach.
· Teachers holding the new code numbers of 235 (P-8) and/or 236 (7-12) may work under the Additional Licensure Plan (ALP) for Coaching, if employed in a position that requires a Coaching Endorsement.
· Teachers adding P.E. /Wellness / Leisure to a current license will receive the code number 235 (P-8) and/or 236 (7-12).
· Beginning with the spring 2007 graduates, teachers completing an initial licensure program in P.E./Wellness/Leisure from an Arkansas college/university will receive the code number 235 (P-8) and/or 236 (7-12) graduates. If the teacher has met all requirements for the coaching program of study and the required Praxis II Specialty Area Assessment for Coaching and upon recommendation from the college/university, the teacher will also receive the Coaching Endorsement.
· Teachers applying for licensure in P.E. /Wellness / Leisure through reciprocity will receive code number 235 (P-8) and/or 236 (7-12). The teachers will not receive the Coaching Endorsement by reciprocity unless coaching is reflected on the out-of-state teaching license.
· The Rules for Reciprocity will propose the following statement which will be submitted for public comment this spring: “P.E. / Wellness / Leisure 227 (P-8) and 228 (7-12) will only be issued for reciprocity for the teachers licensed out-of-state in P.E. and can document eligibility to be employed as a coach in that state or can document out-of-state coaching experience.”
· Teachers pursuing licensure in P.E. / Wellness / Leisure through the ADE / Non-Traditional Licensure (NTL) Program will receive the new code numbers of 235 (P-8) and/or 236 (7-12).
· Teachers pursuing licensure in P.E. / Wellness /Leisure through the NTL / Master of Art in Teaching (MAT), NTL / Master of Education (M.ED.) or NTL / Master of Educational Theory and Practice (M.S.E.) will also be issued the new code numbers of 235 (P-8) and/or 236 (7-12).
· Teachers in the NTL Program cannot be employed under an ALP for any area, including Coaching.
· The Rules for NTLP will propose the following statement which will be submitted for public comment this spring: “Teachers in the NTL Program who have completed the program of study and the required Praxis II – Specialty Area Assessment for coaching, may receive the coaching endorsement and be employed as a coach.”
Attached is an outline of the licensure numbers, the status of the licensure numbers and an explanation regarding eligibility for employment. All questions regarding this memo may be addressed to Mr. Ron Tolson at the phone number and email address listed above.