The Arkansas Department of Education (ADE), Special Education State Personnel Development Grant (SPDG) has funds available to support the efforts of local school districts in Arkansas to recruit and retain qualified special education teachers. Financial assistance will be provided to individuals who are interested in pursuing special education licensure and teaching in an Arkansas school district with a high proportion of less than fully qualified special education teachers.
The ADE will provide tuition reimbursement, up to $3,500, to persons willing to pursue, or who are in the process of adding, special education licensure endorsement. Interested applicants must meet the following requirements:
1. Be a resident of Arkansas.
2. Be currently employed by or will work in a school district with a high proportion of less than fully licensed special education teachers.
3. Be enrolled in an Arkansas regionally accredited public or private college or university with an approved special education program taking a minimum of three (3) required course hours per term or semester.
4. Agree to obtain their special education licensure within 3 years.
5. Agree to teach special education in a public school in Arkansas in a designated school needing fully licensed special education teachers for at least two years after receiving special education licensure.
Persons interested in applying for the tuition reimbursement program for the Spring 2010 term must complete the attached application. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Mail the completed application to Donna Broyles, 1401 West Capitol Avenue, Suite 450, Little Rock, AR 72201, or fax it to 501-682-4248. Applications must be received by November 18, 2009. Applicants will be notified of the status relative to acceptance in the tuition reimbursement program by November 30, 2009.
Approved applicants will be required to submit a copy of their program of study outlining the cost of the program along with an itemized statement of course(s) payment from the Registrar, and an official transcript within 30 days of course completion for payments to be processed.