Pursuant to No Child Left Behind (NCLB), Title IV, Section 4115 (a) (3), “A local educational agency (LEA) may apply to the state for a waiver of the requirement of subsection (a) (1) (C) to allow innovative activities or programs that demonstrate substantial likelihood of success.”
Request for waivers must include the following elements: program profile; list of protective factors; and a thorough description of how the activities supported will meet the criteria listed below:
• Be innovative and demonstrate a likelihood of success.
• Be designed to prevent and/or reduce violent or disruptive behavior, and/or the use, possession and distribution of illegal drugs and alcohol.
• Be developmentally and age appropriate for the population receiving the program.
• Be consistent with meeting the principles of effectiveness.
• Have a minimum of three to five years of impact and outcome data that demonstrates a significant change in attitude and/or behavior, violence, disruptive behavior, and substance use.
Waivers will be granted for a maximum of two (2) years, contingent upon the LEA submitting an annual report describing adequate progress. Review and approval of all waiver requests will be conducted by a team consisting of Arkansas Comprehensive School Improvement Planning (ACSIP) Program Unit Manager(s), ACSIP Supervisors and the Federal Program Liaison.
The program profile, protective factors checklist and program description must be submitted by January 14, 2008 to:
Otistene Smith, Federal Program Liaison
Safe and Drug-Free Schools Program Officer
Arkansas Department of Education
#4 State Capitol Mall, Room 304-B
Little Rock, AR 72201-1071