This document constitutes official notice of the 2009 Title III, Language Instruction for Limited English Proficient (LEP) and Immigrant Students formula grants authorized under No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 (NCLB). No individual notice of funds allotment will be provided. Please keep a copy of this communication and the attachment on file for the auditor to review.
To be eligible for No Child Left Behind Title III funds, a district must have reported a minimum of 101 LEP students on the Home Language Survey submitted in November 2007. To be eligible for Recent Immigrant funds from Title III of No Child Left Behind, the following criteria must be met:
1. The district must have 20 or more recent immigrant children as reported on the previous year's Home Language Survey, and
2. When the second and third previous year’s average of recent immigrants is compared to the previous year’s recent immigrants from the Home Language Surveys, there is an increase in recent immigrants.
A recent immigrant must meet all of the following criteria:
1. is between the ages of 3 and 21,
2. was not born in any state, and
3. has not attended one or more schools in any one or more states for more than three full academic years.
Districts receiving allotments from both NCLB Title III programs should add the amounts together and enter in the Arkansas Comprehensive School Improvement Plan (ACISP) Title III budget. The Actions will provide the breakdown between the two programs. The Arkansas Public School Computer Network (APSCN) Source Code for Title III formula grants is 6761 and the Revenue Code is 45935.
The Title III funds and activities should be a part of, or become a part of, the 2008-2009 ACSIP plan. The ACSIP plan and the Title III budget must be submitted by the October 1, 2008, deadline. The Title III funds will be paid after the ACSIP plan and Title III budget have been approved. Funds held in reserve will not be paid to the district until included in an approved ACSIP plan and Title III budget.
For questions concerning the Title III allocation, please contact Kim Bajorek at 501-683-6530. For questions concerning the Title III program, please contact Dr. Andre Guerrero at 501-682-5014.