The Arkansas Department of Education (ADE) is pleased to announce the application process for the Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholarship Program for the 2009-2010 award year. Although the funding for this year's awards is not complete, it appears that a minimum of sixty-two (62) scholarships will be offered in the amount of $1,500 each to Arkansas public and private school students graduating in 2009. Scholarship recipients will be selected on a competitive application basis within each of the four congressional districts in the state.
To qualify for a scholarship, the following criteria must be met:
1. Be a 2009 graduate of a public or private school or receive a recognized equivalent of a high school diploma
2. Be a resident of the State of Arkansas
3. Be admitted to an institution of higher education
4. Demonstrate outstanding academic achievement and show promise of continued academic achievement
Screening of applications will be based on the following:
1. Superior academic proficiency as demonstrated by standardized test scores on the SAT and/or ACT or National Merit Scholarship
2. High school grades with emphasis given to Honors, Advanced Placement, and concurrent college courses
3. Leadership ability
4. Involvement in school and community activities including acquired skills and achievement outside the realm of the usual high school activities
5. High goals and aspirations that reflect the promise of continued academic achievement
Program guidelines now require coordination of awards with other scholarships, grants, and loans that may be received by the student. No recipient may collectively receive scholarship awards, grants, and loans in excess of the total cost of a year's attendance. Prior to funding of the scholarship award, the program administrator will coordinate with the Financial Aid Office at the recipient's college or university. Students who already have full scholarship awards or will be attending military academies may not receive a Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholarship.
Application and Program Guidelines are attached but may also be found on the ADE Web site at the following address: http://arkansased.org/students/scholarships.html. Submit completed applications (with official seven semester grade transcript and verification of test scores) postmarked and mailed to the address below no later than Friday, February 13, 2009. APPLICATIONS THAT ARE INCOMPLETE AND/OR POSTMARKED AFTER FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 13, 2009, WILL NOT BE REVIEWED BY THE SELECTION COMMITTEE. Scholarship recipients will be notified by mail no later than June 1, 2009.
Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholarship Program Coordinator
Arkansas Department of Education
Four Capitol Mall - Room 107-A
Little Rock, AR 72201